View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
You are completely right. BUT! This is different, wildly different, from the usual handout. I hear, for example, that there are about 100 restaurants in or around The Villages. Most are closed right now, or barely open, and making a small percentage of their usual income. Their employees are unemployed or employed essentially as a gift as they stay at home. All of these restaurants have a lot of monthly bills to pay, and they aren’t paying them right now. Imagine if when this is over 80 of those restaurants are not able to reopen. Likewise, a lot of the businesses around TV that you use can’t reopen because they are too far in the red. Yes, eventually other restaurants and businesses would open, but from scratch, and they’d have to find new employees. Meanwhile, how do those employees eat and pay their bills? Your standard of living at TV would drop, and there would be a lot more hungry, suffering people in the tri-County area.

I hate to use $2 Trillion for this, but it is crucial, and we will need a lot more right away. The alternative is another Great Depression that lasts years. I prefer that the government give our money to businesses so they can pay their employees who are not working right now. That way, when the businesses reopen, the employees can be back on the job at once, and the businesses can survive. (My two sons are both sitting at home at full pay, very grateful to their employers. I’m grateful, too. They have years of experience that they will bring back to their jobs.)

Most of my income is from my retirement funds, and those are way down. I don’t like that. But if the government handles this right, the market will zoom up given half a chance, and the loss will be less. If there is another Great Depression, my life will definitely change, and I may need to sell my home in TV. If I do, and several thousand other people do, what happens to your home values? We need to gladly pay whatever necessary to avoid this.