View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbajeda View Post
It's an indictment of the wages paid in the state that some get more on unemployment than at their work. And it's only temporary. They lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Yet I see people here who begrudge them this benefit. The alternative is that they can not pay their bills and become homeless. Have you thought of that?

And do you call yourselves Christians?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I'm no liberal by any means, but we all need to understand that EVERYONE is affected by the economy. Check your 401K balance (which many lower income folks don't even have) then understand your paper losses stand a better chance of recovery if the low wage earners can participate in the comeback. The $600 isn't charity, it is an economic investment by the government.

As I wrote earlier, I sure wouldn't want to swap places with anyone getting the $600 payments. And I sure hope those who get it will be able to survive a little longer and more comfortable until they get their jobs back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
you are right on - we need to stop the directive of don't give anybody anything - let's all help those who need it most.
I am an old great grandfather who still cannot grasp that there are those who grew up in the same era as I, who are relatively secure living in a place like TV, who would ‘begrudge’ those caught up in an unprecedented pandemic worsened by initial inaction and lack of preparation a little support for the common good. For that matter, do they even remember the concept of ‘the common good’?

Kudos to posters like those quoted here as well as many others who may have very differing views on other matters but who nonetheless have not closed their minds and hearts to human compassion and understanding. This is not the same as running up the national debt for unnecessary wars (a strange phrase) or huge corporate bailouts; this is for folks to be able to help put food on their tables and keep a roof overhead during the pandemic—in some cases the very individuals that might otherwise serve you in a local restaurant, work on your landscaping, or clean the medical offices where you get your care (through Medicare?).... Given what we are dealing with, the immediate issue is not economics; it’s humanity.