View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
I'm re-posting from another source, 'cause the author ASKED ME TO.

Public service message.Crooks are too clever.

Scammers- Scammers package delivery

This is very clever. I would, probably, fall for it if not warned. Give this wide distribution. This scam is, actually, very, clever. Just when you thought you'd heard it all. Be, very, careful out there! Beware of people bearing gifts!

The following is a recounting of the incident from the victim:

Wednesday a week ago, I had a phone call from someone saying that he was from some outfit called: "Express Couriers," (The name could be any courier company). He asked if I was going to be home because there was a package for me that required a signature.

THIS IS A MUST READ AND… PLEASE LET FAMILY AND FRIENDS KNOW, TOO!
I can't tell from your post if you are saying this actually just happened a week ago to a friend of yours, or perhaps your friend just heard about it a week ago and wrote this detailed story about it for your reading, which you are now passing on.

A simple google search finds exactly this story beginning almost word for word on the North Alabama Better Business Bureau's website. It begins:

Quote:
December 08, 2017
A North Alabama resident has reported a new scam that could target anyone during this holiday season. Scammers are calling consumers disguising themselves as a courier service, in this instance they claimed to be with "Express Couriers”. The caller asked the consumer if they were home because there was a package that required a signature.
Source: BBB of North Alabama
Seems strange that we now know it was Frank who got fooled, and his wife just happened to use the exact same language as this BBB report saying the scam was reported in North Alabama. Now I'm not saying that you should not be alert for scams. I'm just pointing out that this is a circulating story,

Here it is with the same wording as having been reported by the Broomfield Michigan Police

Here it is from 2017 on a blog warning the seniors only club.

In Nov 2015 the Apex NC police posted a warning, same language but noted it hadn't happened there

And the beauty of the internet is sometimes you actually dig down to what may be the truth. This actually happened in Sydney Australia in 2008. And they caught the criminal.

Sydney Morning Herald

November 23, 2008 — 11.00am

A MAN charged with stealing more than $30,000 by posing as a delivery man bearing wine and flowers was refused bail in court yesterday.
David John Hennessey, 50, was stopped by police on the F3 freeway at Wahroonga, in northern Sydney, on Friday. He was arrested after a police search of his car allegedly found a number of card skimming devices.
Police allege that Hennessey had defrauded 10 residents of the Eastwood-Gladesville and Ku-ring-gai areas of $32,000 by posing as a delivery man bearing wine and flowers.

Before the victims received the package they were told they needed to swipe their credit cards to pay a delivery fee of $3.50. Police allege that in all cases those involved swiped their credit card into a hand-held machine and were given a receipt for their payment.
In each case no card was ever received indicating who the parcel was from, police said.

Police allege Hennessey used details gathered from a scanning device to access the accounts of 10 victims and make unauthorised withdrawals totalling between $2000 and $15,000.
Hennessey was charged with 10 counts of obtaining benefit by deception and one count of having stolen goods in his possession.
He was refused bail in Parramatta Bail Court yesterday and will face Hornsby Local Court on Thursday.