View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

And it probably is.

Please don't get the wrong idea from many of my posts. This pandemic IS serious and everybody should be extremely careful. Everybody should follow the law and engage only in permitted activities, and everyone is free to exceed the restrictions. I have defended golf because it is a low risk activity, in fact lower risk than many other things Villagers are doing every day. There is NOTHING anyone can do to make their risk zero. My objections are against those that want to dictate their choice of exceeding the restrictions to everyone else, and those that call anyone not doing what they are doing idiots, selfish, and entitled.

People are dying and that sucks. People are mortal and that sort of sucks as well. However, this is not the end of civilization as we know it (although it is rapidly becoming the end of civility---and I'm as guilty as the next person, sorry.)

But here are some numbers to ponder:

Since the first case appeared in China on November 17th, 140 days have passed and 66,560 people have died. Deaths from all other causes, worldwide, average 153,400 PER DAY or 21,476,000 since Nov 17. This is not wiping out the human race. Cases are increasing in some parts of the world and decreasing in other. It will end, sooner or later.