View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Note: Please forgive me. I lifted this post of mine out of the thread about golf -- where it did not belong -- and dragged it over here to a different thread. Now, I will go back to the golf thread and edit it out of there.

Sincerely,
Redundant Boomer

Ah, yes, the decontamination chamber. Ours is set up in the laundry room.

The dryer top is for pre-process and the washer top for post-process. The w and d tops are easy to clean with Dawn and Bounty paper towels.

Though I am not a scientist, I have a little theory that if Dawn could cut through the oil on the feathers of those ducks caught in that oil slick, then Dawn should be able to cut through that lipids shield or whatever it is that protects that damned virus and helps it get around. Actually, my hometown is Cincinnati where it is the law that we have to buy P&G products and/or stock. (I should not have to explain that I am just kidding about that law part but who knows how literal some can be so there you have my “just kidding.”)

Then, I wipe off anything that can be wiped off with a Clorox or Lysol wipe (though, alas, they are not P&G products.) I found an old stash of wipes in one of the vanities. I don’t think they are anywhere to be found now so I have taken to cutting them in half. We also have 48 remaining pairs of plastic gloves, left over from my wearing them under gardening gloves. Who knew what a garage search could belch up.

Going through this big rigmarole with the incoming groceries makes me feel like I am a nutjob, like Howard Hughes. But, so far, I am wearing my regular shoes — although the Puffs boxes are starting to look like they have possibilities.

A friend told me recently that she takes the bags of cereal and crackers, and whatever else is packaged inside cardboard, out of the boxes, pitches the cardboard boxes, and puts just the bags away because the bags would have been untouched in the stores or in shipping. Another friend is putting that stuff into washable containers. But we don’t have enough of those.

Anyway, as crazy as all this decontaminating is beginning to make me feel, I figure I would feel crazier if we did not do it.

Sincerely,
Call-Me-Crazy-and-I-Don’t-Care Boomer

PS: All this talk around here about Howard Hughes reminded me about the movie "The Aviator" so Mr. B. and I watched it a few nights ago. It's a long one, but what a fascinating character Hughes sure was. (Lots and lots of airplanes in it, too.)

All VERY sound advice during a time when NOONE knows what is a risk. I would add, be careful about your MAIL (which is handled by many different folks out there on the front lines all day long), and if possible leave it in the garage to "heat up" for several days; ensure that you do NOT bring contaminated packages (Amazon, delivery food, etc) INTO your home but if you MUST, place it ON YOUR STOVE vs counter tops (so you only have ONE non prep area to be concerned about) and IF you order/pick up prepared food from ANYWHERE, place it from the wrappings/box it came in onto your own plate/container and nuke it in the microwave before consumption just to ensure no transfer. ALSO, ANY door handle, try to use the very top or bottom of vs the "common grab area" that most folks resort to. IF there is a handicap button option for entrance, USE IT using your ELBOW vs hand...and also any buttons/doorbells you might have to touch in public (elevator, etc) use your KNUCKLE vs your fingertips to push. Stay safe everyone!