Thread: New Roofs
View Single Post

Old 04-05-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
I bought a villa in October 2019. In January 2020 I received a letter from American Integrity saying (non-renewal) for October 2020. When I contacted my agent he sent me an inspection report with pics, that I didn't know existed. It indicated missing shingles and curling. I was shocked! Then the agent told me to send a letter to American Integrity that I would change to ACV versus Replacement cost. I said a big NO.
I put my ladder up and went around the villa with a camera and there are NOT any missing shingles and 99 % of the roof has NO curling.
In late Septemeber I am going to challenge the insurance companies inspection and suggest I may need a lawyer. Anyone have any other ideas.
How old is the roof? If it is more than 15 years old, why wouldn't you want an actual cash value insurance policy for the roof? Do you think the insurance company would owe you a new roof even though the roof is already almost past it's normal life span? I really don't think a lawyer will help because the insurance company has no legal obligation to renew your policy. Often, insurance companies do not want to insure a house with an old roof because, when high winds damage the roof, there is also damage to the interior of the house, which they are required to pay for. You may want to consider replacing the roof yourself, which will give you more insurance options at a lower cost.