Thread: Ocala Eye
View Single Post

Old 04-08-2020, 05:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Be aware that this practice demands you give up your right to a trial by jury if they potentially commit malpractice. They make you sign a form that you will not see until your surgery is scheduled that you agree to binding arbitration, with an arbiter they accept unless they have recently improved their office routine.

I don't know if they have had issues with litigation, but even if they have, they should not be viewing a patient as a litigant. Trial by jury is a foundational right. I would not get in a taxi if the driver, even one with a sterling record, demanded I waive my right to sue him if he ran a red light, crashed, and I was injured. Why would I agree to waive my right with a doctor? Just don't make an avoidable mistake. The risk of being sued is part of the practice of medicine.

Don't force me to give up my rights to save yourself a few dollars on your insurance cost. Ophthalmology is one of the most desirable residencies for medical students. It provides a short work week, very high income, very rare emergencies, and you only work on a clean body part. I think that having to put up with an occasional lawsuit is not too much to ask in what is an otherwise fairly low stress field of medicine.