View Single Post

Old 04-16-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I saw the Uriah Heep Wonderworld Show with Manfred Mann's Earth Band at the Bayfront Center in St. Petersburg, Florida August 8, 1975. Unfortunately the roof didn't open, but David Byron was fantastic as the opening spotlight shined only on him and he did the acapella intro to "Stealin". He was one of my favorite singers and Ken Hensley played a mean Hammond. Mick Box is still carrying on the name touring every year.

It's hard to pick just one show, Journey and the Babys at the Mississippi Coast Colosseum in Biloxi, April 18, 1980 Departure Tour. That was great because we had two great singers, Steve Perry and John Waite, and Journey couldn't be any bigger at the time.

After I couldn't get tickets to see Georgia Carlin, a few of us went to the Electric Zoo club out by St. Pete/Clearwater Airport. It was the Allman Bros September 6, 1969. Had no idea who they were, we paid $3.50 to get in. There was band with a guy with a red guitar and long blonde hair going wild on the guitar, they had two drummers and the singer was this guy sitting down playing the keyboards. I never forgot that show, at the very end, the singer said, we're the Allman Bros and our first album comes out in two months, we hope you buy it.

I've always told people the best live theatrical type show I've ever seen, even better than Pink Floyd, was Jethro Tull on the Thick as a Brick tour, Savannah, Georgia June 11, 1972. It was more than music, it was a sight to be seen. Ian Anderson was fantastic, they had people dressed as giant rabbits hopping on stage. Huge telephones ringing, if you read the Thick as Brick newspaper that came with the album jacket, then it all that.

The Villages Florida

I'll add one more because I hear these guys on the radio all the time. Def Leppard on the Pyromania Tour, July 1, 1983 Savannah, Georgia. This was their first headlining tour, I owned a record store and Pyromania was my biggest selling cassette ever, going through 100 a day and the Union Jack T-Shirts were just as hot. The band didn't disappoint, fantastic show, Gary Moore and Krokus opened. I think I couldn't hear afterwards for 3 days.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/IY-x9ZwGTJrrXpNTflSwHrlLKcM3UjjKDaT79ppofgXG6b7tfP7Kk uQoOe0uEaOr7ssMCJMd2nM-WnOsZ5HYC_uammWcQ8v1_a6uFdmy6vs4ip7TNd696UsuCzsPQl Blm31vcIGZkiNR1b7yvyhuB7jWtrG9VE_oXz4ffzdNmNCrdNb4 v9Y1yUZeXpJYq4Ob2yty5YyPsMFDFeTf[/I
MG]
Pretty impressive...... what I wouldn't give to have seen Pink Floyd...... wow.