Thread: Bicyclists
View Single Post

Old 04-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,088 Times in 2,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
I'm not sure how a bicyclist is to "let" you pass them. If the multi-modal path is 2-lane, then you just pull out into the oncoming lane (assuming traffic allows) and pass them. If the multi-modal path is 1-lane (there are many areas where they split into two 1-lane paths), then there isn't room in that single lane for your golf cart, a bicyclist and the three feet of clearance that you are required to have by law to be able to pass them. Are you asking them to leave to path to allow you by? Usually, these single-lane sections are relatively short and even if a bicycle isn't going all that fast, you're surely not inconvenience by more than a minute or so. Are you in that much of a hurry?

By the way, the same thing is true for automobiles on roads. In areas where there is a single lane and no multi-modal (or "diamond") path, that lane isn't wide enough for a car or truck, a bicyclist and the minimum three feet of clearance. By law, the driver of the car or truck must yield to the bicyclist and not pass them until there is adequate room, which means either the road is back to two lanes or there is again a multi-model path or bicycle lane for the bicyclist to pull into.

And while there may be some jerks on bicycles who do actively slow down to frustrate drivers, they are in the minority I'm sure. If they are slowing down, it's usually because the road or path has changed inclination to become somewhat uphill. The differences may be so small as to be barely noticed in a motorized vehicle but on a vehicle powered by older human legs, it can definitely slow you down.
If I was on the bike, I would have slowed down and waived the golf cart to pass me, very easy to do.