Thread: Bicyclists
View Single Post

Old 04-18-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
My rules of bike riding on a MMP...

* Ride a hybrid bike (NOT a road bike) so you can SAFELY go into the grass when necessary or desired;

* Check traffic behind you when approaching a divided (single lane in each direction) section. If carts approaching, adjust speed so they can get around you prior to divided section;

*When on full width busy section, stay centered in your lane until adequate open space in front for a pass. Then go to extreme right of your lane, making it obvious you are letting carts behind you pass;

*As appropriate on any MMP section, use your hybrid to go into the grass to let carts pass. You’ll be safe and the cart riders passing you will appreciate your actions.

Primary motivation for all these is self-preservation. The fact that it’s a courtesy to cart drivers is just a nice fringe benefit.
Sorry but I disagree. I have been riding the MM path mentioned, several times a week for almost a year. I have a Cannondale road bike and I have never even begun to have a problem. I stay to the right of the path and let carts pass me on the left, of course when there are no other carts coming in the other direction. It is not necessary at all to ride up onto the grass to let carts pass. Doing so would be more dangerous as there could be tree debris, squirrels, etc., which could cause a bicyclist to lose their balance.