Thread: Bicyclists
View Single Post

Old 04-18-2020, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1972 View Post
not sure what was happening in this instance , however in view of our current circumstances many more people are using the mullti modal paths including walkers, bikers and golf carts as people want to get out and go for a ride , a walk etc.. As an avid biker I have noticed many more riders out on the paths many who may have not been on a bike in a while. There are many hazards for bikers that many non riders may not be aware of. First there is usually a groove to the right side between the pavement and the concrete curbing and many times an additional groove exists where the landscappers edge . A bicycle moving to far to the right risks a fall if their tires enter this groove. In addition many times there are branches and palms the extend out into the path many times at face level. The split lanes are the most dangerous and there have been several serious incidents where golf carts have attempted to pass a biker on these narrow lanes and the cart has hit the left curb causing the cart to vear right and hit the biker. Carts should not attempt to pass bikers in these split lanes, they should wait until they reach a wider area. All this said, bikers should be aware of their surroundings ( have a mirror) and allow carts to pass when safe.
This wasn't a split lane. I wasn't suggesting that the cyclist move over. I was suggesting that he NOT SPEED UP whenever I tried to pass him.

Either go at a reasonable steady pace for a 20mph speed limit, or go slowly enough that people who WANT to go that steady pace can pass you.