View Single Post

Old 04-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

I congratulate you. Obviously, little or no mortgage. Little or no debt. According to reports I have seen, approximately 40% of villagers have mortgages. That has a huge impact on affordability if you only receive ss. Once you are on just ss, don't forget to budget for medical expenses. Either a significant monthly premium with no deductibles/copays, or no premium with significant copays. They get you one way or the other. Don't forget to budget for even minimal travel. Or gifts to kids/grandkids. Oh yeah, and then there is car insurance, home owners' insurance. Did I mention water, trash, amenity fees? And when the virus problem is eventually solved, you may want to go out to eat on occasion. I'm pretty sure I may be missing some other items.
If you can truly live on only ss income, and not touching savings or 401k or pensions to accommodate any of the above, you are way ahead of the game. Congratulations.