View Single Post

Old 05-15-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwann View Post
I've owned one for 5 years and have been pleased with it. Newer gas carts are quieter than former models, but not as quiet as an electric. The downside is laying out $1000 more or less every 4-5 years, depending on how often you drive it. My Star is fast, when I want it to be. (Had it up to 28mph when nobody was looking, with a tailwind.) The only fault with the SST model I own is the area where you latch on your golf bag. It's a little narrower than other models, and full-sized golf bags have to be jammed in there. The dealer's location is not convenient but I use an independent mechanic who does maintenance at my home. Have done so even when cart was still under warranty.

Now, one of my golf buddies has a Tomberlin. It's really sleek and comfortable. It's actually built as a street-legal but he doesn't use it as such. High-priced machine, however.
I put Trojan T-875 batteries in my cart about eight months ago and they were about $800. I wonder what gas and oil for the same period of time that batteries last would cost. Also, gas cart engines require more maintenance and have more moving parts.

I worked with golf cart fleets for 35 years and was always told that electric carts are less expensive to run.

My last experience working with carts was about fifteen years ago so things may have changed. Yamaha has certainly made great strides in noise reduction.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.