View Single Post

Old 05-17-2020, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I got clarification from golf administration on what the new holes will entail. New PCV inserts will in fact be set in the hole, below the putting surface, so that the golf ball will go in the hole. The bottom of the cup will be very shallow so the golfer can easily pick their ball out of the hole without touching anything but their ball. Sounds like a brilliant idea to me, best of both worlds.
In theory this sounds great. In reality, turns out they haven’t quite figured out “below the putting surface”. Sometimes it’s a reasonable 1/2 inch below. Sometimes it’s a quarter inch above, and everywhere in between. At least with the high ones you can tell if it hit. With these you can’t tell if it would have been in if the pipe wasn’t there.

And then there are the cases it does go in, and gets wedged between the pipe and the flag. And the whole “no need to touch the hole or the flag” goes out the window. That happens at least once a 9 hole round since I’ve run into these.

Since they no longer seem to care about folks touching the hole I think they should go ahead and pull the PVC. Then at least we don’t have to wonder if the ball would have gone in. Either way, bring your hand sanitizer in your bag.