View Single Post

Old 05-17-2020, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I'd like to see the whole thing buried and a new 9 hole executive course built.
Silver Lake is horribly designed and never is decent condition. I will say that at times the greens at Silver Lake have been some of the best in The Village. However, the rest of the golf course is deplorable.

Instead of whoever the inside person is that designs these courses, The Villages should hire a good golf course architect to design a nice exec course on that site.

It's not just the routing that is a problem, which it is. A course designed by a professional architect will be easier to maintain.

Most people don't realize that about 70% of a golf course is underground. That is the part that allows it to be in god condition. Irrigation, drainage and soil composition are very important to a golf course. That is one of the reasons that some many of the older courses are in terrible condition. They simply were not built correctly.

The Villages just spent a lot of money redoing the second fairway at Silver Lake and it is still horrendous. It needs to be torn up and rebuilt from two feet down. The same with the ninth green at Hilltop. The hole is not only poorly designed from a playing standpoint, but tens of thousands of dollars have been spent over the year resurfacing that green. The problem is not with the surface. It's what below.

What is surprising to me is that The Villages does such a wonderful job with everything else. The beautiful flowers everywhere, the town squares are immaculate, most of the road and golf cart paths are beautiful, and the grass everywhere looks perfect. But it is incompetent at building and maintaining golf courses. You would think that a company that advertises "Free Golf for Life" it would be more interested in maintaining those courses like it maintains everything else.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.