View Single Post

Old 05-18-2020, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
That's fine I associate " The Dooby Brothers with Michael McDonald as most do.

Without his presence and voice they are just another group. Be honest. Just as I mentioned many groups try to carry on without the Main Lead...and fail

I can mention many groups why bother.

Boring
To say the Doobie Bros were nothing before Michael McDonald joined only meant you don't have a grasp of early to mid 70's rock music and what was played on rock and top 40 radio. The songs Listen to the Music, Black Water and China Grove were played non-stop when were released new. Michael McDonald has a catchy voice, and was asked to join, which he jumped at when Tom Johnston left to pursue a solo career. Tom after having just the one hit in '79 Savannah Nights, the Doobie Bros gladly took him back.

Before Michael McDonald joined in 1976 they had the hits with Tom Johnston and Patrick Simmons on vocals including Jesus is Just Alright, Listen to the Music, Long Train Runnin', China Grove, Rockin Down the Highway, South City Midnight Lady, Black Water, Another Park Another Sunday, Without You, Take me in your Arms and I Cheat the Hangman.

I bought the following albums when they were new, I don't own any that had Michael McDonald as a band member, I no longer considered them Doobie Bros. Michael McDonald as a solo act, I would probably go see him, but as part of the Doobie Bros, he turned them into a pop machine.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 05-19-2020 at 08:40 AM.