View Single Post

Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,840 Times in 777 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwittig1 View Post
I have been taking some long walks recently but find it is getting very dangerous. I try to use the residential streets and intermodal paths as much as possible but part of my walk takes me onto Enrique Drive where I have to use the golf cart lane because there are no sidewalks. I walk against traffic so I can see what is coming at me. 90% of the carts move over into the car lane to go around me but there is a brutal 10% who like to play "chicken" and don't want to move over. They drive right right at me and when they see I am not moving they swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. Some yell insults as they go by. I believe walkers are entitled to use our streets just as much as the golf carts are. They seem to think that it is I who should jump off the street so they don't have to move. I will stand my ground on this and when I get hit my first call will be to Dan Newlin who I am confident will get me a bundle like he advertises.
I recommend buying a bicycle bell with a sound you like and screwing it or wiring it to a piece of wood or a walking stick and carrying it around with you. If you aren’t sure an oncoming cart driver sees you, ring the bell to get the driver’s attention. Or get one of those ooga horns with a rubber bulb and carry that. Or a boat air horn attached to a can of compressed air if you really want to startle the driver. Or you could buy a hand bell like old night-watchmen used to carry and ring it when you see a cart coming. You could even start crying out “Unclean! Unclean!” like a biblical leper. As others have said, don’t assume that any driver is NOT on autopilot while driving a golf cart. Some are! One is all it takes to take your life.