View Single Post

Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
At quite a price. remember the original Hawai'i Five O? McGarret had the famous line, "Seal the rock, Danno". That's what Ige did. Suspended all interisland flights, locked all visitors in their hotels for 14 days, banned access to the beaches, etc. A very totalitarian move but it's a one Party state and he got away with it. Hawai'i is a VERY expensive place to live and there are tens of thousands now who have gone without work and therefore money. None of it eliminated the virus, it just delayed it until they open back up.
People I know well returned from HI to live on the mainland in October. They keep emailing me links about how property taxes are going through the roof for nonresidents, especially those who own properties they rent out short term. They had lived in a $750K+/unit condo complex on the Big Island. HOA was about $1,300/mo. Only a few owners were permanent residents (who pay a fraction of the property tax nonresidents pay). Some owners will be losing their properties to foreclosure as they have lost their short term rental income which covered their expenses. It is a mess over there right now.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine