Thread: Preppers
View Single Post

Old 05-19-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amexsbow View Post
As someone who went through Hurricane Katrina in N.O. and lost a home and lifetime of memories at the age of 58 I consider myself a prepper. I agree with “A prepper is a person who takes measures in advance to ensure the economic, physical and emotional well-being of their family during times of struggle.”
So yes, since 2005 we have kept a 3 to 6 month supply of food and basic necessities. We rotate our stock so it is not out of date and we buy when items are on sale. As a retired L.E.O. I also know in times of disaster or civil unrest help may never arrive, and if they do it may be too late. Remember the B.S.O.A. motto "Be prepared." This is predominately a theme in the conservative ranks, progressives wait for help to arrive and someone to feed them.
This is the crux of the reason I began this thread. True "preppers" are non-threatening, supportive, self-reliant members of society. Yet, there are MANY posters who can't devote the 1-2 minutes required to determine the nature of preppers. It's much easier to fill-in the blanks (in their knowledge) with ridiculous comments that would make preppers the focus of animus by the many squirrels who never put nuts away for the winter.

Boy Scouts, the armed forces, and many government civilian agencies, practice and preach preparedness. Yet, locally there are many "haters" who are more than happy to target others simply because they believe and act somewhat differently than them, albeit in a non-threatening manner. Haters are gonna hate...

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle