View Single Post

Old 05-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
Before the pools were closed, I swam at Spanish Moss. It was always enjoyable to get to the pool & encounter the smell of chlorine; it brought back some great childhood memories.

After the pools re-opened, I started swimming Everglades but never smelled the chlorine. Thinking they didn’t add enough chlorine and it might not be clean water, I went back to Spanish Moss. No chlorine smell there!

Does anyone know if the pools are missing chlorine? Are the facilities people adding a different type of bleach/cleanser to sanitize the water? thanks
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you're NOT smelling chlorine, you're smelling chloramines (BAD). A properly sanitized pool has no smell.

"Pool smell is due, not to chlorine, but to chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated.

Chloramines result from the combination of two ingredients: (a) chlorine disinfectants and (b) perspiration, oils and urine that enter pools on the bodies of swimmers. Chlorine disinfectants are added to pool water to destroy germs that can give swimmers diarrhea, ear aches and athlete's foot. Perspiration, oils and urine, however, are unwanted additions to pool water. By showering before entering the pool, and washing these substances from the skin, swimmers can help minimize pool smell."

Chloramines: Understanding “Pool Smell”

Here's info on how chlorine is produced in "saltwater pools".

The Definitive Guide to Salt Chlorine Generators
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, bourbon in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!" -- Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by B767drvr; 05-27-2020 at 02:46 PM.