View Single Post

Old 05-29-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,743 Times in 5,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
Before making the final payment demand that you be furnished with a " Waiver Of Claims And Liens And Release Of Rights" signed by the major suppliers and subcontractors involved in your project. Some contractors will push against this extra bit of paperwork but it is your full right to demand it. Our roofing contractor, which is well known and established in the Tri-county area, presented the waiver upon completion of the job at the time full payment was due. I doubt that he had paid the materials supplier within the 1 day of delivery and installation, but now that is between those 2 parties. It also indicated to me that he probably has an excellent reputation with his supplier which in my mind makes him a better contractor.

A lesson to be learned: Our neighbor had a beautiful driveway covered in pavers this past February by one of the local "well known", "has a display on the Squares Market Nights" companies, no money down, paid on completion and 3 weeks later was notified of a lien placed on her property by the supplier of the pavers for unpaid materials. When called, the contractor told her that "things were a bit tight right now because of "C-19" but all would be good in 2 or 3 months". Now she has a good chance of paying 1 1/2 times for her driveway work.
Did your neighbor receive a preliminary notice from the paver supplier that they intended to file a lien against her property? Florida law requires that a notice be sent to the homeowner prior to the homeowner making a final payment to the general contractor. If the paver supplier didn't send the notice, then the paver supplier cannot file a lien. If she did receive a notice, then she shouldn't have paid the contractor.