Thread: Cut the Cord!
View Single Post

Old 06-08-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
To JohnW and Retired: I have a very old, but very good, Sony TV in a spare bedroom. When I switched over to streaming I thought I would be able to just purchase a Roku stick and use the TV. Unfortunately, it does not have an HTML port and I have no idea how to use it. Do I need to just let it go, or is there a way to rescue it.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Unfortunately, without an HDMI port on your old TV, you will not be able to use the Roku stick on that TV.
For the old television you will need what is know as a composite "RCA" type connection (that is the red/white/yellow jacks to plug into the TV. That's the older analog type.

All is not lost for you though. SOME older Roku boxes have connections for either HDMI or RCA type wiring. It will say "works with virtually any TV"

The "Roku 2 XS" box that I have is one of those, but has been discontinued by Roku. I see on Amazon that some are still available for $50 I think I saw. (I paid $75 for mine in 2013)

The video I've linked here shows that model and around 5:13 shows the cable and connection.

Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player Unboxing - YouTube

I commend you in your struggle of trying to learn the new technology and cutting the cord. You seem to be moving ahead nicely! Good luck.