View Single Post

Old 06-14-2020, 02:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

decades ago I had read that the native Americans had used fish heads in their gardens....so being a fisherman, I saved a slew of trout and salmon fish heads in the freezer and planted them under my tomato plants, corn seed, etc.

later that day we went off to a birthday party with the kids...when we arrived home in the evening the whole garden had been dug up and completely destroyed....

never could tell if it was house cats that roamed free in the neighborhood, dogs or wild critters...but that ended my experiment with fish heads

lots of racoons in TV....they like to wash their food before eating it, so if you do put the fish heads under your plants, put out a bowl of water for the racoons to use

What has worked well for me growing tomatoes in the south is a tip that a Canadian gave me...1st week sprinkle a Tablespoon of Epsom salt around the base of the plant (no need to dig it into the dirt) and water...next week sprinkle a Tablespoon of powered milk around the base of the plant, (again no need to dig it into the soil) and water. Repeat this for about 3 cycles of each. You'll have a nice crop. At the time I was a snowbird...so I'd also do this when I went back north and planted a garden...those tomato plants were in the ground and they would grow to 12 ft lengths...I had to use the green metal fence post to keep them up, as they'd fruit from the bottom to the top and were so heavy they kept breaking the wooden stakes

Good luck... nothing tastes as great as a backyard tomato

Last edited by davem4616; 06-14-2020 at 02:30 PM. Reason: hadn't finished typing and hit send key in error