View Single Post

Old 06-14-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say this post is kinda tongue in cheek . Can I suggest you forget growing your own tomatoes and buy them from someone at the Farmer's Market in Brownwood on Saturday morning. I cannot tell you his name, but he has a small covered stall and sells produce grown hydroponically and his tomatoes are $1.00 a piece and they are almost, not quite, as good as Northern tomatoes.

I am also going to shop The Villages Grown and see what their tomatoes are like, because the tomatoes in the stores are not edible. They all have a white core going through them that is kind of woody.

Mobile Market - The Villages Grown The Grown has a mobile van that is in my area tomorrow. Going to give them a try.

If you decide to experiment with growing your own toms I wish you the best of luck. I tried it for a couple of years and it was very disheartening, but the birds loved them!
We just finished havesting our first crop, from seeds I had that my neighbor germinated in January. We had grown plants we got in Leesburg several years ago. Growing herbs and tomatoes and container gardening has kept me from going crazy during quarantine. I thought it would be interesting to try this variety that supposedly tolerates Florida heat.

I will try the epsom salts and powdered milk idea mentioned above. I never thought about the cat/raccoon problem. Nothing is munching on the herbs, though.