View Single Post

Old 06-15-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Cataracts after RK surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sadly for me, unlike so many others, I had not very good experience. My wife is facing her turn for cataract surgery very soon and I insisted she find a different doctor and practice.
I had two issues that I was assured were no problem.
Issue 1: RK (radial karatotomy), a vision correction surgery pre-lasic. Could not remove cataract via the cornia, had to go through the sclera (white part of the eye.) RK scars made getting good measurements difficult. 2: I was on tamsulocin generic Flomax) known for contributing to floppy iris syndrome.
First eye went pretty well, but not perfect. Second eye? Not so well. Iris flopped. Once supposed under control it snapped shut and had to be forced open with a ring. Scheduled lens could not be used so, generic lens implanted. Twenty minute surgery became two hours.
Very sorry if I frightened you, but not every surgery goes well and any concerns you have should not be glossed over. This , if I am correct, the most common surgery being performed today. There are many reasons why the success rate is less than 100% satisfied. And, just because the surgeon has done "thousands" does not mean they can't get complacent or over confident.
Ask lots of questions and be sure you get the answers you need. The surgery is not painful, so that's one thing you don't need to be concerned about. Second opinion from different practice might be a good idea if you have any doubts.

Oh I also had cataract surgery a few years ago, but 20 years ago I had the RK surgery which helped for several years. The surgeon that did the cataracts could not promise that they would work perfectly and he was correct. One implant went perfect, but the other took three tries, with three different lenses before he was satisfied. I have had trouble getting prescription glasses since. I see great with one eye, but the other needs a prism lens, otherwise I see double vision. I think normal eyes without RK or Lasik prior should do fine.