View Single Post

Old 06-17-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts
Default I think we might be on the same side???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
From relocating statues and monuments of traitorous, racist losers... to the removal of denigrating racial stereotypes?

PLUS
...appropriate apologies?

What a great start!
Dear CNM,
I think we may be on the same side of the bigger issue here, but our points of reference might be a little different.
First, I agree that statues are more useful in a museum setting where they provide a means of exploring our history, both the good and bad along with the context of the times.
Stereotypes is where we have a hiccup. To me, stereotypes are caricatures. No, they are not generally flattering, but those caricatures are often used buy comedians of various ethnic groups to tease that group that they themselves represent. It forces us, whatever color, religion, etc to look at ourselves in a less threatening way.
As to Aunt Jamima and Uncle Ben, They were around when I was a small child with no understanding of race. To me, they were good people providing good food for my family and me. Because of where I lived and how I was raised it is hard to recognize them as "bad". But, apparently, someone does.
For example, when you see a spider or snake are you revolted, or are you interested in the beautiful colors and patterns on its body? Does the fact that the spider can spin a beautiful web of fine silk that is stronger than steel interest or excite your curiosity, or do you find it "gross"? My point is that it is not always easy, or even possible, to understand why some people think or feel the way they do. To "walk a mile in another mans shoes" sounds good but is not often possible.
Let's continue the conversation in hopes of finding some common ground to build on.