View Single Post

Old 06-17-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Dear CNM,
I think we may be on the same side of the bigger issue here, but our points of reference might be a little different.
First, I agree that statues are more useful in a museum setting where they provide a means of exploring our history, both the good and bad along with the context of the times.
Stereotypes is where we have a hiccup. To me, stereotypes are caricatures. No, they are not generally flattering, but those caricatures are often used buy comedians of various ethnic groups to tease that group that they themselves represent. It forces us, whatever color, religion, etc to look at ourselves in a less threatening way.
As to Aunt Jamima and Uncle Ben, They were around when I was a small child with no understanding of race. To me, they were good people providing good food for my family and me. Because of where I lived and how I was raised it is hard to recognize them as "bad". But, apparently, someone does.
For example, when you see a spider or snake are you revolted, or are you interested in the beautiful colors and patterns on its body? Does the fact that the spider can spin a beautiful web of fine silk that is stronger than steel interest or excite your curiosity, or do you find it "gross"? My point is that it is not always easy, or even possible, to understand why some people think or feel the way they do.

To "walk a mile in another mans shoes" sounds good but is not often possible.

Let's continue the conversation in hopes of finding some common ground to build on.
First of all, I want to say that I appreciate the vein and tone (or at least my interpretation of it) in your response.

I do however, disagree on one major point you've made.

That being..."To walk a mile in another mans shoes, sounds good but is not often possible."

While I, of course, agree in the literal sense...I disagree in a general sense.

Where I believe we diverge, is in that as reasonable people, we can/should at least make an effort...to think about what it would be like in someone else's shoes.

I also firmly believe, that if more people would just try and make that effort...our divided world would close measurably.

Seeing things through other people's eyes, allows us to view those items/issues that WE maybe don't believe should be such a big deal...why they ARE a big deal to others.

While the history or connotations aren't even in the same universe, much less category, I think we can agree that a box of 'saltine/white crackers' that showed a stereotype of a poor white person (with raggedy clothes/confederate flag/a trailer/truck on blocks/cig hanging from lips)...would be offensive to a lot of people.

And rightfully so.

Again, I thank you for your thoughtful/respectful post and the desire...to find some common ground to work from.