View Single Post

Old 06-21-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

I don't like the bait system for termites because it is more expensive than the poison soil barrier treatment, and it requires regular monitoring to ensure that you don't get termites. It doesn't treat your entire house, but relies on monitoring.

My Massey termite warranty will expire next year, 5 years after buying a new house, and paying about $90 per year for renewals. When the warranty expires, Massey will retreat the house by injecting chemicals in the soil around the house for about $500, and they will then renew the warranty for 10 years for about $100 per annual renewal. If I switch to Dean's, they will transfer the warranty to my house for $165 with no retreatment, and will charge me $165 per year for an indefinite warranty period. Personally, I think Massey has a better deal because I will be getting a complete new treatment and the renewals are less expensive.

When compared to my homeowners and auto insurance, I think the termite warranty is money well spent. However, I would only purchase protection against subterranean termites, not the flying type that some termite companies try to sell you for an additional cost. The reason is that subterranean termites can do substantial damage before you even see them.