View Single Post

Old 06-22-2020, 09:19 AM
Veteran member

Koegels Viennas with Natural Casings - the finest hot dogs in the land! As they say in their ads, "Serve the Curve!"

Being from the southern end of Michigan, I was raised on these locally made hot dogs and just thought of them as "good" hot dogs. Then we moved to North Carolina and couldn't get them any more and were fronted with the realization that every other band we tried ranged from bad to awful. Howe could this be? Turns out that Michigan, while it has its faults, has one of if not the highest standards in the country for processed meats. Processed meats, including hot dogs, are just better in Michigan.

Still, I thought perhaps my high regards for Koegels were just a matter of my own persona preference and was based on the foods I grew up with. However, I've introduced multiple neighbors and friends here in The Villages to Koegels Viennas and now that's the only hot dogs that several of them will buy. One, a real hot dog connoisseur, says they are the best hot dogs he's ever eaten anywhere in the world.

Fortunately for me and other Koegels fans, they send truckloads of them down the eastern seaboard to have sales at hotels in a number of towns, including The Villages. They normally come here twice a year (the pandemic has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench in the works but they are resuming in September) and us fans (mostly from Michigan and northern Ohio) line up to buy our hot dogs, balogna, ring balogna, pickle balogna, Polish sausage, Coney sauce and other delights. If you're interested, search online for "Koegels on the Road".

Now if I could only get the Michigan Club (South) to spring for Koegels instead of the local junk hot dogs when they have their annual Coney Dog night!