View Single Post

Old 06-29-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetteperry View Post
We have a pond back in Mass where we go for the summer. We used to have fish until a blue heron found it and ate every one two years in a row. We no longer put fish in and we still see heron fly over to check it out. We have tried a fake heron to no avail. We also had a hawk fly down. We tried a net but came home one day and found a small bird tangled in the net, so that came off. With the abundance of birds in TV I would hesitate to put fish, especially koi, in a pond where they would most likely be easy targets, but that is just my opinion having lived through it. Good luck with whatever your decision is. I love sitting by the pond and hearing the waterfall.
We also had a pond up north that was prone to herons and raccoons. We found two solutions.
1) if you have a water hose nearby, a product called "Scarecrow" Water sprinkler works wonders, day or night. It’s on Amazon.
2) after a heron visit, I placed a length of black corrugated plastic pipe in the pond. The fish will hide in it at the first hint of danger.
We used both and never lost a fish from then on.