View Single Post

Old 07-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Platinum member
Default Definitely a First!

When I went to take my garbage to the curb last night, an animal came towards me from under the oak tree. I thought it was probably the resident rabbit that likes to feed on the neighborhood flowers. As it got closer, it looked like maybe a small dog. Nope. It was an opossum. It came up almost close enough to touch. We engaged in a staring contest for a bit. He would occasionally eye the open garage door. I didn't budge but just continued to stare it down. Finally, it turned and left the same way it came and went around the corner of the house. I scurried in and shut the garage door before it could change its mind and return. I Googled to see exactly what critter it was and opossum came up. Australia spells it possum, but North American it's opossum, although the pronunciation is the same. According to what I read, they are actually pretty docile and only get aggressive if cornered. They are also classed as a protected animal and it is illegal to capture or kill them. They are actually beneficial because they like to feast on pests such as roaches, slugs, etc. Works for me.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."