Thread: Grass Fed Beef
View Single Post

Old 07-12-2020, 02:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,249 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackisHere View Post
I have to add my 2 cents. I grew up on a farm in Michigan. We had both dairy and beef cattle. We didn't have a silo, but we had a corn and oats mix ground into a powder we called chop. Only the dairy cows got the grain (chop). The beef cattle ate the grass in the pasture. When the buyer came around to buy the beef steers, my Dad would tell him he fed them grain regularly, to which the buyer told my Dad he was full of BS cuz those steers never saw a spec of grain (they didn't). The reason my Dad claimed they were fed grain was because the buyer paid more for grain fed beef. That's what makes me laugh now at all this "grass fed" craze. My Dad would have loved it, getting paid more for grass fed beef.
We lived in the country in TN until recently. I raised horses and my neighbors raise cows. About once a year we bought one of my neighbors cows. We then kept it in a pen and fed it hay (for fiber) and LOT of corn for about 3 weeks prior to slaughter. Best beef around if you ask me.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else