View Single Post

Old 07-20-2020, 12:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Your experience may not be the same as to the general attitude of police. Your post is the definition of white privilege, from which I also benefitted and continue to benefit. You believe your positive experiences with police provide a framework upon which you then assert that therefore all people have the same experience. It isn't so.

Only now with ubiquitous cellphone cameras is the way in which POC too often are subjected to authoritarian abuse by LEOs being seen. You can easily dismiss this as it is contrary to your experience. But when POC tell you that they see everyday interaction with LEOs as being fraught, you should believe them. They believe your assertion that you have never had a problem with police being difficult.
I believe a whole lot of people need to really think about the excellent points you are making. If abuse and excessive force is occurring by LEO's in this day and age when they know they are being filmed, yet don't even seem to care, the question has to be asked as to what was happening prior to everyone having the ability to film these interactions? While I also want to believe that it is just a small percentage of those in power and authority that are doing it, the fact that it still keeps happening with mostly little consequence, points to something that is more systemic and deep-rooted than just the occasional occurrence.