View Single Post

Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There is so much that can be said about the point that you are making. I am a not very practicing Catholic and I was taught that the Bible is a treasured work and a record of words of inspired people but must be taken in context with the different authors intent. (And that of course is really up for grabs)

I personally think that the big ten commandments are a good start at directing people toward cohabiting on this earth. If God is, He has it handled. And I think He is, most of the time and when I doubt, I think He isn't gonna be mad at me.
I agree about God not being mad when we doubt. After all, Jesus’ own disciples doubted. Doubt actually is a means to bring us even closer to God if we choose to explore our questioning at a deeper level.

As far as the intentions of the writers being up for grabs that is not necessarily the case. You also have to know the audience it was written for and the culture at the time it was written. If you want to go deeper into the Bible check out Catholic Productions. I especially like Brant Petri who teaches at a seminary in New Orleans. He does a “Mass Readings explained” each week and has many books, CDs and videos. Love how he goes back to the original meaning of some of the words. Also his extensive knowledge of the Old and New Testaments. He does a wonderful job of showing how the Old foretells the New and the New fulfills the Old. Really puts you on the road to a deeper relationship with God.