View Single Post

Old 08-10-2020, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I have built computers from pahts, i have had all versions of windows, have bought off lease computers from Dell, have used and still use apple. If you are going to buy a new laptop, i try to buy for a 5 year life. So, if you are buying a windows laptop: minimum specs should be Windows 10 x64, Intel i5, 8 gigs ram, 250 gig solid state hard drive. what's the price, I don't know because there are so many different ways to buy that computer. But that configuration will last you 5 years, and will not be slow from a hardware standpoint.

If you want simplicity, yes, a chrome book is simpler, but google is tracking your every move. . . so there is a tradeoff of privacy, but most will accept the tradeoff for the price.

good luck,
sportsguy
If you read EUA (if you can) from Microsoft, they have the right to everything on your computer and the cloud.

Yes, Google tracks sites (to make the experience better) but I trust them far more than MS.

Of course if you want REAL security, use Linux. No one tracks you on Linux since there is no Linux corp. The code is open source, which means you can look at the code and decide if you want to use it or not (you can even modify it for yourself).

Linux is far safer than Windows as it (almost) never gets a virus. (Mostly big business are the targets).

Most web sites run on Linux, IBM paid $34 BILLION for a company that promotes Linux (Redhat).

I use a Chromebook 99% of the time, but I feel very safe using my Linux Mint PCs.