View Single Post

Old 08-10-2020, 08:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
when the computer has an issue, the question becomes how self reliant is the purchaser? Which is why its hard to tell to give a proper answer. Browsing, email, etc, may all be easy with Linux, don't know, but are there any configurations needed to be done which the user won't understand or will need help to set up? Same with MS. . . so that's why the simplicity question/answer may end up with a chrome book.

Now mating with Microsoft is like mating with a black widow spider, bu why one would trust google more than MS, not sure i would trust either. . . . both are corporations with profit motives, which means risk. . or you are the product!

sportsguy
You would not believe the data that is sent to MS. I've looked at the packets! Google not as bad.

I've built dozens of Linux PC's. Ubuntu, Mint, Red Hat, Easy Peasy, all varieties for special purposes. About configurations: Of course, each PC has specific components that might need customization. The beauty of Linux, besides having less hardware requirements, is because you can D/L a bootable CD/DVD or USB image and see for yourself if there if you have a component issue. Just boot off it and try it, it runs in RAM so it runs a little slow, but you can get the idea. I've only found IBM or laptops that use the Broadcom WiFi card and some higher-end NVidia video cards to be problematic. I like Linux Mint Cinnamon Mate that has a Windows interface look-alike. Less of a learning curve than getting a new phone.

You can try before you install it. Try that with Windows 10.

I have had few customers that I haven't been able to find a compatible free program for their needs. There are even some free Tax programs that you can import data tax files.