View Single Post

Old 08-12-2020, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Which means that all those deaths would not have happened per the informed and educated judgement of the attending physician or the county coroner had the person not caught Covid. But I am certain you know more than they do about filling in death certificates and the primary and contributory causes of someone's death.
Not necessarily true. But I AM certain I know more about filling out death certificates than most. Most states will ask for primary cause of death, then "due to" and another "due to" followed by a "contributing factor". So it typically looks like this:

Cause of death: Cardiopulmonary arrest
due to: Coronary Artery Disease
due to: Atherosclerotic Heart Disease
Contributed by: Coronavirus COVID-19

The problem is that we cannot tell if this death was DUE TO Covid-19 or if the virus was just incidental. However, for each death, and for that matter hospitalization, that mentions COVID-19 anywhere, the hospital receives a national average of $13,000 more in reimbursement. You can guarantee that everyone getting admitted is getting tested, and all positives are clearly mentioned on the death certificate or on the hospital bill. As a result, not too many parties are interested in accurate numbers---certainly not the hospitals, certainly not the media, and certainly not anyone/group with a vested interest in promoting the number of deaths.

That being said, this is the most serious pandemic in quite some time, and caution is clearly indicated. But in the case of a flagstick outdoors the Oregon Dept. of Health did a study of 1380 cases and found that AT MOST, outdoor transmission is 0.07 %, which would imply 0 from a flagstick. Personally, I would take that risk if necessary, however, I just don't see a good reason to touch the flagstick at this time

Finally, everyone please remember to get your annual flu shot---it will do far more to save your life than a PVC pipe in a golf hole