View Single Post

Old 08-13-2020, 06:56 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,867 Times in 787 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSS View Post
The PAC12 and BIG10 have decided to cancel their football season. I bet it has less to due with concerns about the virus and more to do about possible law suits.
The legal implications if any student athletes get sick are dire for colleges. I’m sure Risk Management directors are strongly urging schools to cancel the seasons.

Let’s say some college football player with excellent pro prospects gets sick and suffers permanent lung damage or even dies. Don’t you think there would be lawyers eager to sue the school for not canceling the season and asking for what the player could potentially have earned for himself and his family over a career? And there might be big penalties added because the college knew they were risking lives by continuing the season. We could be talking $100 million settlements for some players.

I assure you, in colleges and universities, Risk Management companies and directors have a huge influence. Most colleges would rather give you what you want—whether or not you have a strong case—rather than risk a lawsuit. They HATE lawsuits.

We might not like it, but that’s the way it is. (I’ve spent my career as a university teacher.)