View Single Post

Old 08-14-2020, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
This is what I also heard. Would love for a doctor/retired doctor to comment on this. I usually get my flu shot Oct. 1; I didn’t think about possible shortages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't want to start a stampede. I don't know anything about a shortage. But, I do know that, when the new Shingles vaccine came out, it was readily available, and I got it immediately. No waiting. But, within a few months, there was a 3 to 4 month waiting list for it. Apparently, companies who make these vaccines don't know what the demand will be.
Yes, there is a time limit on the efficacy of seasonal flu vaccine, about 6 months. Waiting until late sept. is a good strategy in cold climates, but here in Florida the flu season tends to end a bit earlier, and it is better to be protected in Dec-Feb than to worry about late April.

As far as the shingles vaccine goes, there are occasional shortages, but the reason is that the process is very similar to manufacturing chicken pox vaccine for kids. So the decision was mad to give the kids priority leading to some periods of backorder for shingles vaccine