View Single Post

Old 08-15-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
The Hunter sensor drys out so fast in the Florida sun and heat it is less than useful. Not unusual to call for watering two days after a heavy rain

The Orbit B-Hyve controller looks at data from local weather stations and future forecasts to only water when needed. Also wifi and can be controlled manually remotely. Less than $100.

Orbit b•hyve
I heard the same thing about the Florida weather pattern, where the rain sensor is not effective.

I own two 12 zone B-hyve sprinkler controllers for my two 12 zone sprinkler system that covers my property. I’ve tried many different sprinkler controllers, and the Orit B-Hyve controllers are hands down, the best.

You can control the B-Hyve with a app on your iPhone. I think that they also have an Android app. It’s true that the B-Hyve detects the weather, and puts the controller into “rain delay” automatically.

My B-Hyve controllers went into “rain delay” automatically many times. It happened many times when the rain missed our area too. You can modify the rain chances percentage to tune the automated “rain delay”. I tried increasing the percentage, which improved the automatic “rain delay”,

Since you can remotely control and monitor the B-Hyve controller with you cellphone, it’s very easy to add a manual rain delay, or to enter a manual rain delay. Without the cellphone remote control, that would be a hassle.

The B-Hyve controllers are dirt cheap. I got mine two 12 zone models for a little under $100 each. The sprinkler wires are connected with good screw terminal connections, not the crappy spring wire connectors which some controllers have. The spring wire connectors sometimes result in flaky, intermittent wire connections.

The B-Hyve controller also has a smart option, which I haven’t tried using yet. I use the conventional method, which includes the weather data input.

I bought the two 12 zone B-Hyve controllers because one of my almost 20 year controllers failed. I replaced them both with the B-Hyve controllers. Over the years, I tried using other controllers, and were dissatisfied with them.

I would strongly recommend that even if your current controller that’s not remote controllable with your cellphone, and does have the weather data, that you replace it with a B-Hyve controller. If I knew how much better the Orbit B-Hyve controller is than my old controllers, I would have replaced both old controllers when both the old controllers were working.

It’s a dirt cheap investment compared to how the better sprinkler controller will improve your life. It’s very easy to swap out the old controller. Just remember to label the zone wires before your remove the old controller.

You can also program and operate the controller with the buttons on the controller, but I find it much easier to program and monitor the controller with my iPhone.

There are things in life that are “No Brainers”. Buying a SunPass was a “no brainer”. Cheap and easy to do, tolls are discounted, and no coin hassles. A B-Hyve controller was also a “no brainer”. It’s great too for snowbirds or when you travel. It’s easier to test your zones periodically, without having to walk back and forth to the controller between each zone. It will make blowing out my sprinkler system easier before the winter weather in Minnesota. After I buy a house in Florida, I will replace the sprinkler controller with a B-Hyve, and install a whole house electric generator.