View Single Post

Old 08-22-2020, 12:30 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Pretty much any book by Carl Hiaasen is set all or mostly in Florida and also happens to be a great read. On a non-fiction side, Dave Barry's Florida: Best. State. Ever. is all set in Florida and one chapter in The Villages. Both authors, along with several other Florida authors, collaborated on Naked Came The Manatee, where each author wrote a single chapter. Wickedly fun reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Page View Post
“Carl Hiaasen is Wickedly fun reading”

You’ve got that right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Hiaasen’s books are all fantastic especially if youre familiar with the area of Fl hes writing about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
Thriller series’ by Steven Becker, Wayne Stinnett, Tom Turner and Randy Wayne White. Of course there are the much better known and award-winning authors, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, and Carl Hiaasen. There are literally hundreds of books set in Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
I go along with anything by Carl Hiassen as well as Best State Ever by Dave Barry. Hysterical! If you want something serious and shameful, try Devil in the Grove: Thurgood Marshall, a very depressing book about Central Florida in the late 1940s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geltner@verizon.net View Post
I agree 100%. He has done much to inform the public of the damage done by the developers and the corruption in Florida government. Lots of fun to read.

Greetings to all you Carl Hiaasen fans — and have I got news for you! (drumroll, please)

Carl Hiaasen’s new book Squeeze Me is coming out on Tuesday, 8/25.

I met Carl at a book signing a few years ago. I asked him when he is going to write a book about The Villages. (I know there is one chapter in the book he wrote about golf but there sure is a lot more material in TV.)

Thank you to queasy for starting this thread. I am going to add A Land Remembered to my Audible listening, but I ordered Squeeze Me in hardback so I can share it with others after I read it.

Boomer