View Single Post

Old 08-31-2020, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I have a bicycle that has just recently developed a problem. Part of the problem is that it only started happening after a rather expensive tune-up at a local shop. The tune-up and associated parts replacement seem to be working well. The bike shifts better, etc. after the tune-up. The problem is this...

It now has a very distinctive and annoying noise emanating from the rear wheel. The noise is a sort of grinding that occurs once each rotation of the wheel. If I lift the bike off the ground and spin the wheel, there is no noise. If I'm riding it with my full weight normally distributed, it makes the noise. But if I put my weight way forward over the handlebars, the noise stops. I don't have to be sitting on the seat. If I stand on the pedals, the noise is there as long as I don't move my weight way forward.

Here's where it gets really frustrating...Murphy's Law type frustrating. I mounted the bike on my bike rack and drove to the bike shop. I pulled the bike off the rack and rode it a bit before taking it in the shop. You guessed it...no noise. Argh!! I took the bike in the shop and described it to one of the techs. He rode the bike and also no noise. He said he believed me and took a good look at the bike and made some adjustments. Then a little test drive outside the shop and no noise, just like before taking it in the shop. So I load it up and drive home. I unload the bike, get on it to take a quick spin and guess what...it's so obvious...the noise is back again.

So I guess I have two questions. Do any of you bicyclers out there have any idea what might cause the noise I've described? And second...do any of you know if there is a bike shop that makes house calls? I don't want to take the chance of dragging the bike into a shop and having the same thing happen. It it did, I'm afraid I'd just toss the bike into a dumpster and take up skating.

Any input appreciated.
If I had paid for a tune up I would take it back to the shop. Pretty simple.