View Single Post

Old 09-02-2020, 06:26 AM
Veteran member
Default Itmeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
My husband is a builder and most of the roofers he has seen he would not let near our roof. Just because a roof looks nice does not mean it was a superb job. He has noted the repairs are not properly done to the roof itself, the moisture barrier was not applied properly and not enough nails were used or not set properly and the quality of materials was questionable.
To quote myself: “So, in a sense the decision [to replace our roof] was not ours, nor was it that of the roofing company; it was really that of our insurance company.“ The same roofing company rep told the next-door neighbor that she would not qualify, that it is up to the insurance company adjuster, not him (the roofing company rep).

Whose roof are you talking about that was not “repaired” properly? And what does a roof “repair” (an issue between a homeowner and her or his handyperson or whoever is hired to do the repair) have to do with a roof “replacement” (which requires the approval of the insurance company’s inspector—both before AND after the new roof is installed—as well as an inspection AND approval by local authorities)?

We have a friend who felt he MIGHT need a new roof—no certainty—and he contacted our roofer on our recommendation. When the roofer heard which insurance company was involved, he would not even look at the roof! (The insurance company is known for using their own roofing companies when THEY decide there’s a need.) My friend was irked. I suggested he let the insurance company’s inspector/adjuster send in their own roofing company IF they saw the need for a new roof.

Sure enough, again the obvious—the insurance company makes the decision, NOT the homeowner and certainly NOT the roofing company. And in this instance, the insurance company determined that there was a need for a new roof. So yes, our friend got his new roof—inspected and approved by local authorities—at the cost of his insurance deductible. Like us, he has not had an increase in insurance premium.

It’s clear who’s in charge—who makes the final decisions in situations like this....