View Single Post

Old 09-07-2020, 08:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We did this 7 years ago, I imagine the process has changed a lot. Basically, we bought a lot, were informed that we had to start building within 6 months. We decided to start immediately, met with our sales rep to go over details and pick specifics for our house. Approved a set of preliminary plans (we had requested 4 stretches, could only get 3). 80 days from ground breaking to completion. Since we were not in the area, we were sent electronic photos of the process of the build.
What went wrong, we missed getting upgraded carpet, will be doing this shortly. We did not have tile laid on the diagonal (additional cost), in hindsight it probably would look better. there were a few other small items that there was no way to predict until after we lived in the house. Good luck with your project, hope this helps.
Ditto to all for us - we designed/built 6 years ago. SO agree re diagonal tile - I balked due to cost 25% upcharge - I balked as our tile was $$$$. Every day now, I kick myself - not literally. Overall we did a good job with our design (a Holly model). Stretched as much as we could (smaller lot). We did make quite a few changes - biggest was have the builder make our lanai into a Florida Room - same level floor, HVAC in etc etc. We use it every day. And we optd for the color interior paint rather than white - wise choice for small $$. Back 6 years ago what we DID NOT LIKE about the process was that the Designer would/could not tell us the $$$$ charge for line items ie cost difference between this cabinet vs another... hopefully that's changed now.

In the end BE VERY CAREFUL regarding choices that may be very costly to change later such as tile, any stretches or changes to things as interior wall moves, outlet positioning, water spigot positions outside, etc etc.

We optd out of all appliances and bought a complete set of high-end LG stainless from Home Depot for a bit more $$ than our credit. Same for ceiling fans. We also had low-end cheap light fixtuures installed (had to have to close), but got much nicer ones around the house and I installed - sold the originals online.

Looking back, the one 'major' item I would change is the diagonal tile. oh well.