View Single Post

Old 09-08-2020, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Shortly after moving to the Villages, it was clear an over the stove microwave was a mistake, poor ventilation, placed too high to easily manage large items, difficult to observe cooking. Removed the microwave and placed it elsewhere. Installed a proper efficient hood to vent outside.
Good for you! Ranges should always have real range hoods that vent outside, ideally with powerful but very quiet fans. Of course, you are talking several hundred dollars for the vent and fan, and then there is installation, perhaps with a soffit around the pipe, and a roof penetration to flash and seal. And, you’ll be sucking in hot, humid air from outside to replace the hot, humid air you are expelling. I wonder if it even makes any sense to vent outside instead of into the attic, given that the attic is hot and humid. Maybe, though, cooking in winter when the attic is cooler would lead to the humidity soaking the insulation in the attic. If your stove is against an outside wall, sometimes you can vent directly through the wall, which is a lot cheaper and easier and more efficient.

I hate hot, steamy cooking, and I hate hot, steamy bathrooms. I believe in good ventilation.