View Single Post

Old 09-09-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Since it looks like we're going to be choosing a homesite and building a house, I'd love to hear from those of you that went through the process.

Your overall impression of the process. What is the process? How long did it take from start to finish? How long to pick all your finishes? How flexible are they to customization? What were some of your concerns during the process?
Granite during the build or after? Appliances? Window coverings?

Let me hear it all. I love details.
Find out before you sign a contract how much the bond is because they increased it 30%. Much of what you read here are residents who built a long time ago. Anything older than 2-3 years is irrelevant. They have a quota of houses to built whether spec or pseudo custom.

Make sure your house doesn’t face East or west the A/C will be blaring.

Don’t believe the sales person about anything. It’s their job to sell you and you bring them referrals. They don’t care they just need to meet their sales. The standard appliances are junk ! If you buy them on your own MAKE sure you get an appliance credit. Don’t get sucked into attic ladder whatever you put up there will be destroyed from the heat humidity and bugs. The aluminum drainage is garbage and where they locate them. Figure that out on your own.

Compare pricing for the junk linoleum against vinyl plank flooring. Where they put in carpet they use the worst padding you can get and no strip between carpeting and other flooring. Don’t get a glass front door everyone can look inside.

If you want extras get quartz not granite. It’s poor quality granite they don’t seal it just like they don’t seal the grout in tile. For bathroom get your own shower head there is not enough flow from the ones they but in bulk! Same with fans ! Make sure you get your own especially one in the kitchen which for some reason then never install. On your own get backsplash other upgrades the design center process are crazy.

Pick out your own landscaping the stuff they put it dies and is junk. You need to be there to watch everything. If you want trim moulding you have to pay extra. Get soft close cabinets that are installed all the way to the top. Under cabinet lighting you can do on your own their price is nuts !

The more you do with TV is more time you spending dealing with warranty ! At closing be there and the next month because your grass will die.

Everything that isn’t fixed before closing will take you forever to get it done and they don’t document the repairs. My house is a year old. It took me a year to fix faucets falling off cracks all over house being repainted and the door and cracked tile.

Don’t use citizens bank you can get a better rate wherever you live now.
You don’t have to pay for title insurance the property is owned by TV. Everything the do called realtors tells you is not gospel. Find out on your own.

In the last 3 yrs the quality has been very mediocre. It also costs a lot more than they tell you. Make sure you get the original deed. I paid cash and they sent the deed to TV even tho it’s my house. I got a photocopy instead now I have to go to the county and pay for another original. I’m going to sell and move north where it’s cooler.