View Single Post

Old 09-13-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The system you describe will work as you say, but it is not appropriate for everyone. Some people don't want to block calls from unknown numbers. They may miss calls from people they know, but don't have them listed on their white list for several reasons. The caller may be calling from another number, or it may be a doctor's office or a new friend or business associate, or maybe someone gave away your contact number without telling you. And, a lot of people do not leave voicemail messages. They expect the person they called to return the call because their phone will show a missed call. Or, if somenoe leaves a voicemail, often when you try to return the call, the business is closed or you can't reach the person. I rarely leave voicemails, and I would not feel comfortable using a white list to screen my calls.
That’s a trade off. There could be stubborn people that refuse to leave a voicemail. But is it reasonable for you to put up with all the junk calls just because a couple stubborn people refuse to leave a voicemail?

You could include in your outgoing voicemail message that all unknown telephone numbers are screened, and it is mandatory to leave a voicemail, if they want to contact you.

The CenturyLink landline provider has a service called “No Solicitation”. If the telephone callers number isn’t on your “white list”, then the system doesn’t ring your telephone until the unknown caller hits “1”.

Years ago, Digitone had a call screener like that, which simply played an outgoing message to all callers. Then all callers had to hit “1” to ring your telephones.

A normal answering machine could be used like that, but then you’d hear the ringing sound from all the unknown callers.

If you we’re running a business where you got a lot of unknown callers, then screening the calls with a “white list” isn’t going to work. You’d simply have to live with more and more junk callers.

I think it’s unreasonable for myself to put up with hearing the telephone ringing with unknown callers because a couple people are too stubborn to leave voicemail. If those stubborn people get desperate enough to contact me, they’ll leave a voicemail.