View Single Post

Old 09-13-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg122250@gmail.com View Post
Thursday night around 11:30 I received a call with no caller ID so I dismissed the call. Received the call 2 more times and I dismissed them. The 4 time I decided to answer it thinking maybe it could be a family member. The person on the line ask for me by name and said he was with the fraud prevention department. He gave me an address to verify - it was an address that I sold 4 years ago. When I told him it was incorrect he made an excuse that his computer had not been updated. I ask several times why he was calling so late and he said he was trying to help me as my credit card had just been used at a gas station on 466. He needed to know if I had just used my credit card. Before he could say another word I ask what bank he was working for. He hesitated and said Citizens. I told him that I didn’t have an account with them and he said he must have the wrong person and hung up.
That’s part of the scam, calling you late at night! The scammer wants to wake up people and catch them when they are disoriented, waking up, and are more vulnerable to giving out information.

That’s a variation of the old scam where someone calls you hotel room late at night, waking you up, pretending to be from the front desk of the hotel, wanting you to tell them your credit card number over the telephone, to “verify” your credit card number.

Some people are disoriented when waking up, and are not thinking clearly, and give the scammer the credit card number to the scammer that’s pretending to be from the front desk of the hotel.