View Single Post

Old 09-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

as Alwann noted, the stage will be a factor in the treatment.
I had Stage 2 squamous cell cancer in 2007 on my tonsils and lymph nodes in my neck.
Not the esophagus, but they called it neck cancer.

I had 3 rounds of big-time chemo, 34 radiation treatments and 3 total surgeries.
I can't speak for yours, but my experience was difficult. As one of my docs told me, "the treatment is worse than the disease, but you get to live" and that's about right.

All that said, here I am, 13 years later and doing pretty well. I still have head and neck "issues" since radiation and chemo are the gifts that keep on giving (ie: my salivary glands and thryoid are burned up, for starters). However, I'm pretty healthy and happy to be here and if that's what it took, I'm glad I did it. A buddy of mine had the same thing at the same time and his doctor said "let's wait and see". Well, he didn't have to wait and see very long, he died a year later.

Best wishes, be strong. Take it one day at a time. Someone to support you sure makes a world of difference. Send a note if you want any further details and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.