View Single Post

Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmanz View Post
esophageal surgery recovery time for at 79 year old and what should we expect.
I am 63 yrs old and just had the surgery on 10 Feb following chemo and radiation. The surgery was performed at Ocala Regional by Dr
Rossidis. Everything went well and I went home after 6 days. I did have a leak a week later which healed. As you may know, the initial recover is 6 weeks where you will begin with a liquid diet and progress to a full diet. I talked to a dietitian at the VA for diet suggestions and that helped. I did not have much trouble with the diet restrictions or eating.
I kept the feeding tube in, which had been installed 6 months prior as a backup for the whole 6 week period but did not use it the final 2 weeks.
It is important to not eat too much. Some people experience diarrhea after overeating but I had hot flashes. I still have trouble with greasy foods like burgers but can eat salsa with no problem.
I was prepared for eating but was a bit surprised at how the surgery affected my lungs. I had to stop to catch my breath after walking around the kitchen island the first day home. My wife got me a walker which I used for a few days. I developed stamina by riding bike. A 6 mile loop took me 45 minutes but 7 months later now can be done in 26.
There is an esophageal cancer support group in the villages but we haven't been meeting due to covid restrictions.
Good luck. I would be willing to talk to you privately if you want. I am not sure how to exchange info on this forum.